Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Knitting 1840 Scarf - Miss Watts

Okay, so I decided to start a new knitting project (not that I don't have enough stuff on needles), its a scarf pattern from Miss Watts, THE LADIES’ KNITTING AND NETTING BOOK, second series (this book can be found on Project Gutenberg). I discovered this book when I was looking for a pattern to make and 1840s infant sweater. I've been knitting it exactly as written.  However, I've found that a couple of people on Ravelry have made this scarf and mine doesn't look quite like some of theirs. But like I said, I've been knitting mine EXACTLY the way the instructions are written (every row is the same).

I'm knitting this on size 5 needles (if I were working on this at an event I wouldn't be using a circular needle) and using Brown Sheep's Top of the Lamb sport weight.  It is a single ply yarn which will felt if not carefully cleaned (I used what yarn I had). So far I like the way it's turning out. The pattern can be found here.  If your uncomfortably with the YO (yarn over) as the beginning stitch, you can cast on an extra two stitches and start with a K1 (knit one) and ending with a K1.

Let me know if you make this scarf.  I'd love to see your pictures.  If your on Ravelry, I'm MorganAside.





 

1 comment: