Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Knitted Under-Sleeves Pattern - Peterson's Magazine, Jan. 1859

Here's the original pattern for the Knitted Under-Sleeves from Peterson's Magazine.  Knowing how horrible I am at seaming my knitted items, I chose to knit these in the round.  I realized after I finished the first one that I forgot to narrow the cuff, it doesn't seem to have made a difference in the end.  I will add a picture from the original Peterson's as soon as I find which photo file I put it in.  My notes follow the original pattern.
 



Knitted Under-Sleeves
by Jane Weaver
 
Peterson's Magazine
January 1859, pg 84
 
 
 
We have designed this Under-Sleeve for winter wear, and having knit a pair can testify to their comfort.
 
Materials Required: 2 oz. brown single zephyr, 1 oz. crimson single zephyr, 1 pair steel knitting needles, common size, 1 pair bone knitting needles, small.
 
With the crimson wool, and steel needles, cast on 70 stitches, knit 1 row plain, rib 30 rows like the top of a stocking.  Join the brown wool, and with the bone needles knit 50 rows plain. Join the crimson wool, use the steel needles, knit 30 rows, ribbed. Again the brown, knit with the bone needles 13 rows plain. With the crimson wool knit 30 rows as before. Brown, knit 13 rows plain, narrowing 1 stitch at the end of every row. Finish with the crimson wool, Knitting 30 rows ribbed. This last to fit the wrist.


 Knitting the undersleeves in the round.

I used one skein each of Brown Sheep NatureSpun fingering weight, black (pepper) & white (natural), Size 1 and Size 5 double pointed needles (you'll need 4 or 5 of each size). I ended up adding two stiches so that the K2, P2 ribbing came out even (otherwise you end up with 4 knit stitches at the end of the round). Because of the ribbing these are fairly stretchy, remember to cast on & cast off loosely. If you tend to cast on tightly try casting on over two Size 1 needles or over one of the size 5 needles.

CO 72 stitches with white wool.  Divide stitches on 3 ro 4 DPNs.

Join in the round, being careful not to twist the stitches.

Knit one row with the Size 1 needles.

Next row, *K2, P2 to end. Repeat from * for 29 more rows.

Join the black wool and change to the larger needles.

Knit one row, purl the next. Repeat these two rows until you have 50 rows completed.

Join white wool and change to size 1 needles.

K2, P2 ribbing - 30 rows.

Join black wool and change to size 5 needles.

Knit one row, purl the next. Repeat these two rows until you have 13 rows.

Join white wool and change to size 1 needles.

K2, P2 ribbing - 30 rows.

Join black wool and change to size 5 needles.

Knit one row, purl the next. Repeat these two rows until you have 13 rows. *This is where I made my mistake. Your suppose to narrow at the end of every row (if your knitting them flat). If your knitting them in the round I think I would alternate doing them at the beginning on one row and the end on the next).

Join white wool and change to size 1 needles.

K2, P2 ribbing - 30 rows.  

Cast off loosely. Weave in all ends. Enjoy! 








No comments:

Post a Comment